Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Windy Haven...


I thought that since it was 56 when I left home that it would be reasonably chilly, but not cold, up on the mountain. I watched the thermometer drop as I drove to the top, where it finally settled at 46. Which would have been reasonable, still, if not for the strong wind gusting. I couldn't have hiked along the cliffs today if the wind had been coming from the east. It would have been too risky. The wind was a tad capricious and although my family doesn't agree, I do use common sense when hiking. I try to explain that if you are uncomfortable with heights, then yes, walking on along the cliffs will seem foolhardy. But, I always make sure of my footing and I take great care. My stomach no longer gets that tickly feeling when I gaze down and I climb in places that caused me to hesitate months ago. Where I once felt awkward and incapable, I now feel calm and assured. I'm home, where I've always wanted to be.

After hiking for awhile, I found a niche to settle in and watch the sun. It was so blessedly wonderfully peaceful. The cliff angled just enough to block the full effect of the wind, and I had enough layers on to stay warm while I waited.

It's a balm to my soul to sit there and gaze out into forever. I kinda sorta almost felt like that when looking out over the ocean on the beach in FL. This feeling is so much greater though. Somehow looking out over the ocean felt lonely and abstract. Sitting on a cliff engages more of my senses in ways that are hard to capture with words. The solid irrefutable mammoth presence of the mountain is both soothing and awe-inspiring. The cliche of the earth seeming like a giant patchwork quilt came to mind and made me smile. Greens, browns and the red clay all add their colors in grand abundance. Wisps of smoke trail out over the treetops. The ties to other people living their lives below me is reassuringly apparent and yet I am above the chaos of life for those moments in time. It amazes me that I, the one in perpetual motion, often times fussed at for not sitting still, can serenely sit for an hour and just savor my time alone watching time pass so slowly and yet with such a sentient appreciation for the nuances embracing me there.

Some day I want to take up nap on that cliff. I could have easily done so today, if it had been a bit earlier.

My only complaint is that my Vue doesn't have sit warmers. I would have dearly loved to have some today.

...S~


No comments: